Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Olympics Getting Personal

It used to be every four years, but now it is every two years, on alternating years, to be able to watch the Summer and Winter Olympics. This year, even as before, we have been enjoying watching these sporting events and cheering for each sport, although I tend to cheer more for ice skating and 1HW more for snow boarding, with both of fascinated by the skiing. It has proved to be even more fun this year with so many Americans winning medals and doing well. What fun to cheer these beautiful and talented youngsters on! The best part is that they seem to be thoughtful and humble, as well as talented and successful.

Tonight, while watching, something else caught my attention in a commercial in between the events. It showed so many things happening with parents cheering the kids on, which was absolutely lovely. And then at the end of the commercial, the caption in the middle of the screen read, "Thank you, Mom." This really hit home with me.

Like many other hundreds of thousands of mothers, I car-pooled and drove kids to so many places; took kids to see fun events (Balloon Fiesta, for example); attended meetings, meets, games, and competitions; found clothes for them for special events; worried over how events would turn out; tried to welcome kids over; and tried to make our house a welcome home where they and their friends would feel welcome, even until today! This is nothing unusual or spectacular worth noting. That is what moms and families are expected to do, isn't it, regardless of how old the kids are.

But at the end of the commercial, the big caption read, "Thank you, Mom." Sometimes kids don't realize what parents are doing in the altogether. I know that I didn't! One of my biggest regrets in life is that I never had the chance to tell my mother a big, huge, loving thank you for all she did for me, and I would give anything to have just one little moment to tell her thank you not only for all she did for me, but also for the fun times we shared. I keep hoping that she is feeling what is in my heart and mind, but I so regret that I didn't realize that her time would be cut so short, that I would never have that chance to tell her all of the things I wanted to, and just to give her a big hug to tell her thank you and how much I have always loved and appreciated her. But then, it seems to me that quite often most of us seldom realize that we do not have enough time in our lives to appreciate those who are dear to us while they are close to us. And then, we are not able to tell them that and enjoy their company because they are gone. I guess that is why 1HW and I try to enjoy our families and our lives together as much as we can and as much as they will allow us to. Life is fragile and frequently all too short, so it is so important to live each day to the fullest and to love those around us as much as possible.

And so once again, I say, "Thank you, Mom, I love you!" I hope our children and grands can remember us and feel the same. None of us mothers are perfect. We try hard, we make some good decisions, and we make some huge mistakes. But almost always, we have our children's best interests at heart, and we love them all. And so, in spite of all of the mistakes, for the times when some children have returned the thoughts and have said to me, "Thank you, Mom, I love you!" I cherish the thoughts and the words. Thank you, Dears! I love you, too!

No comments: