Saturday, November 17, 2007

During the winter of 1950-51 when I was in the third grade and Herb was in second, the family lived in Alexandria, Virginia, while Dad was stationed at the Pentagon. One Saturday, he had decided to take the two of us into Washington on a sight-seeing tour, and so we took off on a bright, sunshiny day. On our way into the city, as we approached National Airport, there was a huge commotion with many people, and since Dad had a top security clearnce and a VIP sticker on the car, he decided to drive in and see what was happening. Oh, the excitement and the celebrities! It turned out to be a happening! Gen. Dwight Eisenhower had been appointed by President Truman to be the commander of NATO, and he was leaving that morning for Paris to take the command, complete with all of the pomp and ceremony that Washington so well musters. We were able to mingle quite freely with all of the bigwigs, and I eagerly took pictures with my Brownie camera, asking Dad who various people were. At our house, there was a cardinal rule: Before I could read my favorite comics, I had to read the front page and discuss it with my father. So I knew who many of these people were. There was the Vice President, Alvin Barkley, and the WWII victorious generals Omar Bradley and George Marshall. Everyone was milling around, awaiting the arrival of the President and Gen. Eisenhower. My father directed my attention to a gentleman six feet away, and said, "Why don't you take that man's picture, Judy?" "Who is he?" I asked. "He's Dean Achison, the Secretary of State," Dad answered. Thinking and speaking as only an eight year old can, I replied, "No, I don't want to take HIS picture. He's not important." Can you imagine how quickly that man's head turned? After all, in a child's mind, a mere secretary cannot compare to a general or President! I have since learned that secretaries, at whatever level, and custodians are the MOST important people! I still cherish those black and white pictures taken with that little Kodak camera! And, not only did we see Gen. Eisenhower leave for Paris, we also saw the Wright Brothers' Kitty Hawk and Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis! I still have such fun memories of that wonderful day in Washington in 1951!

No comments: