Monday, October 15, 2007

Music to My Ears!

Have you ever heard a song or melody which kept on playing inside your head for days after you had heard it? That seems to happen to both of us, and it must happen to some of our grands, as well, since quite a few of them, especially Lydia, Sarah, Jonny, and Christian, go around humming almost constantly or singing softly, which we have found delightful. Invariably, a hymn from church will stick with us for a while, as it has from yesterday's service, and fortunately, it is one I have always loved. (It is most annoying when it is one that I don't like!) Both of us sang joyously, "When Morning Gilds the Skies," and I have been humming it ever since.

Other songs have not been quite so reverent, such as "All That Jazz," from Chicago, but they have stuck quite as readily. I guess it was when 1HW suggested it was time for a G & T, and I just had to sing out, "Start the car, I know a whoopy spot, where the gin is cold, and the piano's hot!" Neither of us could chase THAT one away for a while! The Phantom of the Opera music has the same effect on us, as do many other Broadway musicals, which we love to hear. Did you know that 1HW was in the chorus of Guys and Dolls and The Boyfriend when he was in college? He can still do a great rendition of "I've got my horse right here, his name is Paul Revere..."!

One of the special parts about the service Sunday was the music! The organist played with joyful flourishes, and the large (37 people) choir sang beautifully! I first began singing in a church choir when I was 8, and I continued singing with choruses and choirs until I was a junior in college. How I loved it! In Gulfport, Mississippi, when I was in junior high, we had a tall "living Christmas tree" where we sang Christmas carols for the community. In Albuquerque at the First Presbyterian Church, our two perennial favorites were the "Hallelujah Chorus" and "The Palms," followed closely by "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" and "Jerusalem." In college at UNM, my sorority, Chi Omega, always took great pleasure in singing in the competition for Spirit Fest and the Hanging of the Greens Christmas carols. We even won!

I do miss those days with so much singing! Maybe one of these days, we two will take it up again! Meanwhile, if you hear someone humming....

2 comments:

sperlonga said...

Will is trying out for Guys and Dolls next spring.

Anonymous said...

eep on singing!! Love C