Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Hair Cuts

Most of you who know us realize some of our grands give me a very difficult time, particularly on the subjects of shopping, my lack of coordination, my concern about my weight, and my hair. Now, as any woman can relate, these are very serious and sensitive subjects. When we were getting ready for our French barge trip, I discovered that I could find Chico Travelers clothes on eBay for a fraction of the store prices! YES! As it happens, James would arrive just at the time I was anticipating the final bids on some crucial articles of Chico clothing. His stock suggestion became, "Bid $100 for black Chico, Grammy, and you'll get it!" Kristy even gave me a magnet with a nun holding shopping bags which reads, "Mother Shoperior." I must admit that is one item I just HAD to bring in the RV. Whenever the grands saw me having no-fat cottage cheese for lunch, they would say in unison, "Just don't get on the scales, Grammy!" I have already mentioned Keilah's perfect imitation of me carrying anything liquid, stumbling, and carefully throwing it all over, somewhat reminiscent of Gerald Ford.

However, the one problem which has plagued me for years which gained comments was my hair. For years, now, I have had a problem finding the right hair stylist, mainly because most of them seem to think my hair should be very short and brushed back from my face, both of which I neither like nor want. It happened with Antonio himself in Albuquerque, with Jimmy in Kerrville, and with countless others along the way. Once here in Kerrville, it was cut SO short, it looked like I was a Marine, and 1HW brought me a cowboy hat to wear to hide under until it grew out. The grands have given me grief over the changing color, too, and asked why I just don't let my hair go gray. Now that idea is so preposterous, it does not even deserve a comment! With all of this in mind, right before we left Omaha, James asked me half-seriously and half not, "Grammy, what are you going to do about your hair while you are traveling around?" 1HW explained that I knew good stylists all over, but actually, the ones I love are quite remote from where we'll be. So with great fear and trepidation, off I went this morning to check out a new guy, recommended by Samantha, the bartender at our local. Let me just say, Justin is quite terrific! I am perfectly delighted! Never mind all of the jewelry he has in his face or the fact he is living with his companion, Patrick, and is as gay as a rainbow sticker! He is my new BFF!! So, in spite of still no Direct TV; the war party of ants which dissolved 1HW's doughnuts and has terrorized us; and more problems with the RV (fortunately covered under warranty), I am one happy camper! Isn't it amazing how a good hair cut can make your day? Now, when he does the color.....

8 comments:

C and J said...

The woman is histerical, funny that is!!!!! Hair color, why not red I ask, I'd have paid real money.. Love HW1

C and J said...

Aw, come on... RED? You know that is NOT my best color!!! At least rght now... Purple? Blue? NOT YET!!!!
Lovce you!

sperlonga said...

j, I've always like your hair. Maybe you can add a photo to the blog, so your fans can see the new doo. MM

K said...

...just say no to blonde! :-)
Glad you found a good do!
xoxo. k.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, MM! I like yours, too! :-)

C and J said...

Hi, K! He said highlights and lowlights. Sounds like what Laura used to do... We'll see! XOXOXO

sperlonga said...

What color will the lowlights be? Your choice!

C and J said...

Whooooeee! Good question! I don't have a clue! I don't even know what the highlights are! Hope this all works!