Thursday, August 9, 2007

Now, What?

I have had so much encouragement about becoming a blogger; however, this beginning is very difficult for me to do, as I am just not used to expressing, let alone writing and sharing, what is going on inside my head. I am definitely not an intellectual, although it seems to me that the friends and family close to me are VERY intelligent! What a wonderful experience it is to be around all of them because my mind keeps expanding and learning from them! Even their blog sites are deep and thoughtful, which may not be my style! However, during my sixty-five years, I have met and known so many varied and fascinating people and had a myriad of experiences that perhaps others might enjoy sharing, so here I am! I think that for many years, I did not feel that my thoughts or opinions were worth too much, and that I was expected to fall in line with what others wanted and expected. It was the old "I get to be right, and you are WRONG! Do it my way or else!" syndrome which 1HW expressed in his blog, and I went through that for about 40 years. Then at the time of my mother's death, I realized she had been doing that same thing, too, and ended up with an early, untimely death at 60, just as she was beginning to find herself. At that point, I decided I needed to change. So, here I am today, a very happy, healthy wife, mother, grandmother, and I hope, friend. I still would often rather hear other people talk about themselves and their ideas, but I do now realize that my thoughts and opinions are just as worthwhile as others' are. And, although I do not usually volunteer my opinions on controversial subjects, if anyone is brave enough to ask me, then that poor soul should be prepared to duck or accept the consequences. Religion? Politics? Morals? Movies? Now I can even discuss those, so please beware!

1 comment:

sperlonga said...

And welcome to you too. I look forward to your stories and recitations of all your wanderings. You do have thoughts and ideas we love to hear. And you're so encouraging to the rest of us. That must be your IF side of your personality. Really, aren't those fun? What was your label? Oh, mentor. Yes. I can see that. Have fun the next couple of weeks!