Saturday, September 18, 2010

Friends Are So Special

For so many years of my life I have moved from one place to another, almost every year, for the first eighteen years of my life, so I never really had a chance to make life-long friends such as 1HW has. One dear friend Pat has remained a close friend since our senior year of high school, but few have remained other then that. As a result, I have come to cherish the friends we/I have made during recent years, some of whom have been co-workers, and others who have just appeared. One of the most special of those is Julie, as well as her husband Ron, who has also become a dear friend.

When we arrived in Durango today, Julie was right there to greet us! What a terrific surprise! Her husband Ron and our mutual friend Byron were out exploring the area mountains, which all of us have known that Byron loves to do. They had left at 9:00, and Julie had expected them back by 5:00 pm or so. However, when we went over to their place at 5:30 for Happy Hour before our steak dinners, she had still not heard from them. So the three of us continued our non-stop catching up, as usual, until Ron finally called around six something to say he and Byron had stopped to get hamburgers. WHAT? They would be back in an hour and a half. WHEN? Immediately my dear sweet, thoughtful husband said, "The heck with them! Let's go into town and have a good dinner!" By this time, we have become quite familiar with Durango, so we promptly headed for the Ore House, one of our favorites, where we could get immediate seating in the bar with a 15% discount! How could we argue with that? Wonderful meal, entertaining bartender, delightful server talking to us on the side, all while we had good drinks, fine food, and excellent company. Then we headed to one of our all-time favorite places, the Strater Hotel to the Diamond Belle Gay Nineties bar for piano music. We all had a wonderful time, but the best part of all was to be with Julie!

Julie is almost 20 years younger than I am, but somehow the age difference disappears in my mind because we have such a good time together! She is a tall, slender, young blonde, while I am shorter, rounder, silver, and older. But all of those differences seem to melt when we are together. As a result, the three of us had a perfectly wonderful evening enjoying everyone and everything around us (although missing Ron and wishing he had been with us instead of eating hamburgers with Byron). It just helped me to realize how important our friends are and how much we enjoy them! We arrived home quite cheerfully, perhaps due somewhat to Lemon Drop Martinis or perhaps just due to dear Jules and, of course, to 1HW, my sweetie! Thanks to you both, my dear friend and my husband, for a delightful evening!

2 comments:

Jules said...

Jude,
We are the same age as far as I'm concerned! Age is only a number. You are a wonderful friend ... and it never would've happened if you weren't such a wonderful, outgoing person who just walks up to people and introduces herself! If you hadn't done that, we may not even know each other ... as I'm so introverted when it comes to that! I love every minute I spend with you two (even if Ron's off eating burgers with Byron!). And Ron really cherishes your friendship too ... he and Chuck are way too much alike, don't ya think?? Safe travels ... you know we'll meet up with you in the not-too-distant future! Love ya!

Jules said...

P.S. Tall ... yes. Slender ... NOT!!!