Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day, Sweetie!

Most of you are celebrating this happy day in one fun way or another, as you certainly should! However, I am so privileged that I am celebrating TWO special days today: Valentine's Day AND the birthday of my wonderful husband! Who could ask for more?

When I first met Chuck, there were two outstanding features which caught my attention: the emotions which range widely in his blue eyes and his outlandish, unbridled, unabashed, and outrageous sense of humor! When I look into his eyes, I still get lost by what I see; it is so very easy for me to tell what he is thinking just by looking. It can vary from tenderness to empathy to anger to joy, with ever so many other moods inbetween. Any of you who know him can easily attest to his humor! He is just absolutely full of mischief, and sometimes he simply cannot control himself from going into gales of laughter! You simply cannot imagine how much fun it is to live with him, because there is almost always humor in everything! Sometimes it has saved our sanity!

However, he does have a serious side, which is also quite an intellectual one, although many do not often have a chance to see it. One does not attain a MS degree in math from Cornell without using some significant brain power, and his early work in computers back in the early 60's (before All Gore invented the internet) is simply fascinating. He has more curiosity about almost every subject than anyone else whom I have ever known. You cannot imagine some of the strange television programs I can often hear around here. He is a superb teacher and mentor, and he is one of the most admired and respected administrators I have ever met. Working with him before we were married was a pleasure, for he listened to and was supportive of all of the staff. Then, as now, he is very kind and considerate of others. It takes a great deal to cause him to lose his temper, and when he does, everyone should run for the hills! He does not suffer fools, and he cannot abide injustice.

Most of all, though, he is such a special and wonderful father and grandfather. He loves all five children and their spouses and the thirteen grandchildren so very much, and he would do anything for any of them. He is always there for them, always ready to listen and to try and help. When they are sad or in trouble, he is devastated. When they have triumphs and successes, he relishes those happy moments and shares their joys. He does not expect them to follow his beliefs exactly, and, sure enough, they don't, but that is fine with him, as long as they have beliefs and values in which to believe. And he just loves to make cookies and play cards with them, watch their activities and cheer for them, as well as just to hang out and sit to talk with them, regardless of the age.

So, I ask you: How could a person like this not also be the most wonderful husband ever? He is simply the best! He puts up with me and cheers me when I am down in the dumps or sad, soothes my pains, and is my helpmate in every way. We truly do not only finish each other's sentences, but we also begin them! He is thoughtful, understanding, and kind, and snuggling with him is a treat! We share so many interests that we seldom have a dull or boring moment. Each day brings new surprises and joys. There is not a day that goes by that I do not give thanks to God for bringing me to him and for allowing us to share this joy together. I am so very blessed! And so, dear friends, that is why I am so happy to say not only Happy Valentine's Day, but also Happy Birthday, Sweetie! I love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You left out walk on water but then you should have!!! Thanks sweetie but that is a hrd act to live up to. I dearly love you too. 1HW