Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ruminations....

Traveling in the Deep South certainly provides a contrast to other areas of the country, and our views have been only partially favorable. We have thoroughly enjoyed being the occasional tourist in the all of the major Southern areas we have visited, both previously and in the present. Certainly, Virginia Beach and Savannah have added to our cultural awareness, just as Raleigh, Charleston, Atlanta, New Orleans, and many other Southern cities have. However, there still seems to be an undercurrent of unrest, distrust, miscommunication, and hostility in many areas.


I couldn't help but wonder throughout the days here why so many of the African Americans we encountered called me "Ma'am." Was it just being courteous? Was it my age? Or, was it a bit of tradition left from past relations? We were never quite sure, but we did notice that it did not occur among the "Anglo" Americans we spoke with. That is what caused our attention. When we stopped in Tuscaloosa for coffee, it was quite obvious that we were in the cultural minority, and we received the "whatever are you doing here" looks. There were not welcoming words or smiles of greeting until we smiled and spoke. That surprised me. I only then began to notice that we were the only "white" faces in the entire area, except for one man who was obviously also driving through town.


Last night during dinner, we were discussing the case of the stolen catalytic converter in Ann Arbor, urging caution. Chris replied that they really didn't need to worry about that in their area, that the crime rate was almost nil. He also mentioned that the area has few residents who are other than "lily-white," and that if someone of a different racial or ethnic group appears, there is most definitely a "racial profiling," and in most cases the person is stopped by the local constabulary, and frequently the car is searched. They just don't "belong" in Peachtree City. This really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who knows history, as one of the well-kept community areas is named "Bedford Forrest," mostly after the founder of the Ku Klux Klan. That seems to sum up a great deal of the area. We would guess that most of the population has several firearms in possession, and we suspect they know quite well how to use them. This whole thing makes me quite uncomfortable.

For one thing, I remember attending junior high and high school in Gulfport, MI, in the '50's, right about the time everything began to be integrated. When we moved there, I had a difficult time understanding why there were separate eating areas, drinking fountains, movie seats, bus seats, churches, neighborhoods, etc. for "colored people." After all, my best friend in the Philippines had been black, I guess, but I didn't know it because no one told me she was different. She was just my friend. It now reminds me of the song in South Pacific, "You've Got toBe Carefully Taught." In 1957, there was talk that Gulfport High School would become integrated that year. I remember the best and brightest sons of the upstanding citizenry of Gulfport carrying ball bats and rocks to school that September. They were "not going to let our school and our women be defiled." My, my. One would think times should have changed by now.

However, one thing is concerning me even more at the moment, as I watch Barack Obama claiming victories. Suppose he is chosen to be the Democrat standard bearer: what will happen? Truthfully, I am concerned for him, his wife, and his children. It is sad to admit, but true. If someone will not even let people of color or different ethnic background live nearby, what kind of reaction would they have for Obama as President? Even now, I feel certain that his assigned Secret Service detail has a challenging job ahead. One can only hope that most people have enough sense and sensibility to help stabilize the whackos, weirdos, and racially-motivated nut cases. I do not know who I am going to vote for yet, but I strongly believe Obama deserves a chance! And, I wish that the almighty Clintons would shut up about race and quit trying to make it an issue. Any opinions from y'all out there?

-

2 comments:

sperlonga said...

You know our kids have been great Obama fans. We are for him, rather than Hillary. But I DO think the South is locked in another time zone. Wierd. One can't believe they are not color blind by this time. Really, who cares about color???? Reminds me of that song when I was in high school, "That's the night the lights went out in GA" Sometimes I think they never came on!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, there certainly were many Confederate flags a-flying! Just amazing isn't it! My dad used to say that the South loved "blacks" as individuals, but felt them beneath them as a "race." What do you think?
J.