Wednesday, January 23, 2008

One of My Favorite Things...

Years ago, Jerry and Marlene surprised me at Christmas with what has become one of my favorite things. As it turns out, over the years, it has also become an instant cause for conversation wherever we travel around the world! It is my Little People Necklace, which had four small girls on it when they originally gave it to me. Each girl had her diamond circle head and her own birthstone in the middle of the small triangle, representing a dress, and two arms and two legs dangle from the dress. So, it began with Ashley, Kaitie, Brittani, and Keilah.

Over the years, 1HW has expanded the necklace for me, and with the first boy, James, a fifth charm was added with an oval birthstone below the head and the same type of dangling arms and legs. The necklace now includes all thirteen grands, eight girls and five boys, with two small gold beads in between each of them.

Over the years, when they were young, all of the grandkids have loved the necklace, and all of them have taken great delight in knowing where they are located and seeing their birthstones. They also think it great fun to have me recite forwards and backwards the names of each grandchild. I think it is fun, too!

However, it doesn't stop there! Almost every day when I am wearing it as we travel, someone stops me to ask about it! Usually it begins with, "Oh, my gosh, are those all your children/ grandchildren/ or children and grandchildren?" Then they usually ask what the ages are, if those are the birthstones, how many there are, and how many of each. The other evening in NYC, Natalia stopped in the middle of taking our drink order to ask about it, even before we could tell her she looked like Minka Kelly on "Friday Night Lights." It transverses nationality, region, culture, color, and gender; regardless, people are fascinated by the Little People!

Best of all, when I am wearing it, the necklace reminds ME of my favorite "little people," our grandchildren, even if they are as old as 23 year old, married Ashley! They will always be my "little people" and will always be special to me! No wonder that necklace is one of my favorite things!

No comments: