Saturday, December 8, 2007

Where Are Their Mamas?

It seems to me that this time of the year is not just about cheer and good will. It also appears to be a season of "Hold on to Your Money," or "How Our Ads Can Separate You from Your $$." Now, agreed, some of the ads are creative, imaginative, and delightful to watch, even though they do emphasize the more material side of this season. Who could not smile at some of them, especially when kids and dogs are innocently featured.

However, I must say I am sick and tired of seeing scantily clad Victoria's Secret models parading about in something someone might think resembles underwear or pajamas. Now, really! Have those babes ever tried riding in a car for 500 miles in that underwear? And do they really sleep in pajamas that tight? I don't think so. Now, I know that a reader could think it is a matter of envy on my part, since I haven't worn that size underwear or pajama since I was six years old. And, I know that their legs are at least twice as long as mine, not to mention their hair. What I really object to is the ads being shown during the part of the day when kids might be watching, let alone susceptible adults, male and female alike. First, children and adolescents (as well as adults!) do not need to think that all women should need to look like that to appear attractive. Second, those women need to put more clothes on! That is just not the correct image that should greet kids! I do believe that it is true that some things should be left to one's imagination when growing up, and that is not the image which should be left. The human body is beautiful, but it shouldn't be exploited like that!

However, I do wonder how those girls' parents feel. Are their parents proud to see their daughters strutting around in practically nothing? "Hi, Mom! I'm in Victoria's Secret Fashion Show wearing practically nothing tonight!" Are their mamas feeling proud for them tonight? As for me, I am so happy that our daughters are mothers, teachers, nurses, musicians, translators, readers, and well-dressed, meaning, in clothes after the underwear. Thanks, Dears! I am so proud for you, and I think you all look terrific! Keep up the good work! And, Merry Christmas, too!

2 comments:

sperlonga said...

The same thoughts went through my head last night when I saw a commercial while Andrew was in the room. Downright embarrassing. I do love their "normal" underwear! Now, all the world knows!!!

Sassy said...

LOL!!!